Bidding Adieu to January..... The month in review.


January 2016 blew in with a vengeance here on the Farm... But that never stop Half Pint from accompanying me on morning chores...

The walk from the house to the chicken coop every morning was an adventure... With average snow depth of four feet, you went out prepared for anything...



The Ducks didn't seem to mind the snow at all... They love to snuggle in...


I think their only complaint could be is that their run and house was buried in 4-5 feet snow most of the month... Many a morning was spent digging them out...


Watering the animals is always fun when the weather gets so cold that the "Frost Free" faucets freeze,,, Carting five gallon buckets from the house became the norm...


Lots of beautiful sunrises were to be had in January... The sun seemed to dance off the blanket of snow...


Tempers did flare when barn doors became frozen shut, (I won't be naming names)


Or when somebody dare challenge the hierarchy in the barn....


But the girls seemed to work their issues out.



The "Hubby" spent quite a bit of time maintaining our drive and road... The wind and snow  always leaves large drifts right in front of the garage, and our road/driveway could easily be used in an episode of "Ice Road Truckers".


He is so happy with the new snowblower for the tractor... With amount we get there comes a point when you just can't push or stack it anymore...


There she sits until she's needed again...


Well I thought I'd end this post with one of the many beautiful sunsets I captured,

                                                                                                                               and an evening walk....  ~Lori~

Comments

  1. Hello Lori and Half Pint! And I thought we had snow! Not even a contest, you win hands down. You are such hard workers there, taking care of all the outside dear ones. I bet the chickens and ducks are glad to see you when you dig them out. Do your chickens come out in that deep snow? I noticed that our 3 hens waited until my husband dug paths for them.

    When I see Half Pint I miss our Tex who we lost quite a few years ago, only it seems only yesterday that he followed me about in the snow. Stay safe and warm there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dewena the hens will come out as long as its not to deep. Most of Dec and Jan they have been confined to a small run right off the hen house that we have wrapped in a heavy duty plastic to keep the snow and wind off of them.
    Half Pint is one of the four dogs we have... She holds my heart in her paws. She is always by my side. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pictures too!
    That is a ton of snow you got, we actually had a few days of warm sunny weather here in Oregon last week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful pictures of your farm and animals. I know the snow and freezing weather create enormous amounts of hard work , but it is so beautiful I can tell you take time INDOORS as you warm yourself up, to appreciate the beauty of it all.

    I also spend a lot of time carrying 5 gallon buckets of water to my poultry and livestock in freezing weather. We just don't usually get the beautiful snow along with the freeze.( shucks )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our winters are long and not much of a Spring. So we live for Summer. Which are always filled with lots of projects and gardening. I try to tell myself to enjoy the down time. Already enjoying the seed catalogs. Thanks for stopping by. ~Lori~

      Delete
  5. I feel like a real piker, complaining about 2.5-3 foot drifts! You be safe out there, eat warm, stay dry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol... We have been blessed with less snow in February and the rain we are getting is melting off the snow. Looking very forward to Spring. ~Lori~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you had a SERIOUS winter! I am loving your blog and I'm adding it to the blogroll on my site so I can keep up with your farm!! Your property is gorgeous - can't wait to see more of it in spring/summer!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment... I love reading your thoughts... Lori

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my world....

Choices.... A letter to a friend.